- Neil A. Ernst, Alexander Borgida, Ivan J. Jureta, John Mylopoulos, “Agile requirements engineering via paraconsistent reasoning”, Information Systems, in press, 2013. [preprint] – [publisher] (invited extended version of conference paper 1 below)
- A. Hindle, N. A. Ernst, M. Godfrey, J. Mylopoulos, “Automated topic naming to support cross-project analysis of software maintenance activities,” Empirical Software Engineering Journal, May 2012. (invited extended version of the MSR paper) [preprint] [publisher] [Data/addenda]
- Nan Niu, Yijun Yu, Bruno González-Baixauli, Neil Ernst, Julio Leite, and John Mylopoulos, “Aspects across Software Life Cycle: A Goal-Driven Approach”. Transactions on Aspect-Oriented Software Development VI. LNCS 5560, 2009, pages 83–110. (publisher site)
- Ernst C, Deleva V, Deng X, Sequeira A, Pomarenski A, Klempan T, Ernst N, Quirion R, Gratton A, Szyf M, Turecki G. “Alternative splicing, methylation state, and expression profile of tropomyosin-related kinase B in the frontal cortex of suicide completers”. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2009 Jan; 66 (1):22-32. (PubMed)
- Ernst C, Sequeira A, Klempan T, Ernst N, Ffrench-Mullen J, Turecki G.. “Confirmation of region-specific patterns of gene expression in the human brain”, Neurogenetics. 2007 Mar 21. (preprint)
- Neil A. Ernst, M.-A. Storey, P. Allen, “Cognitive Support for Ontology Modeling”, Int. J. Human-Computer Studies, 62 (5), May 2005, Pages 553-577. [pdf]
- Neil A. Ernst, A. Borgida, J. Mylopoulos, I. Jureta, “Agile Requirements Evolution via Paraconsistent Reasoning”, International Conference on Advanced Information Systems Engineering (CAISE), Gdansk, Poland, June 2012. [preprint]-[slides]
- N. A. Ernst, A. Borgida, I. Jureta, “Finding Incremental Solutions for Evolving Requirements,” International Conference on Requirements Engineering, Trento: September, 2011. [pre-print] [slides]
- Abram Hindle, Neil A. Ernst, Michael W. Godfrey, John Mylopoulos, Automated topic naming to support cross-project analysis of software maintenance activities, MSR ’11 Proceedings of the 8th Working Conference on Mining Software Repositories, Hawaii: May, 2011. [preprint]
- N. A. Ernst, J. Mylopoulos, A. Borgida, and I. J. Jureta, “Reasoning with Optional and Preferred Requirements,” International Conference on Conceptual Modeling (ER), Vancouver: November, 2010. [preprint] [slides]
- Ivan J. Jureta, Alex Borgida, Neil A. Ernst, John Mylopoulos, “Techne: Towards a New Generation of Requirements Modeling Languages with Goals, Preferences, and Inconsistency Handling”, International Conference on Requirements Engineering (RE), Sydney: September, 2010. [preprint]
- Neil A. Ernst, John Mylopoulos, “On the perception of software quality requirements during the project lifecycle”. Working Conference on Requirements Engineering: Foundation for Software Quality (REFSQ). Essen, June 30-Jul 2 2010. [presentation/pdf] [preprint]
- Neil A. Ernst, G. Jamieson, J. Mylopoulos, “Integrating requirements engineering and cognitive work analysis: A case study”, presented at the 4th Conference on Systems Engineering Research, Los Angeles, April 6-7, 2006. [pdf]
Workshops, Book sections and Posters
- N. Ernst, I. Ozkaya, R. Nord, J. Delange, S. Bellomo, I. Gorton, “Understanding the Role of Constraints on Architecturally Significant Requirements”, International Workshop on the Twin Peaks of Requirements and Architecture (TwinPeaks) at RE, Rio de Janeiro, July 2013. [preprint] – [slides]
- Neil A. Ernst, Gail Murphy, “Case Studies in Just-In-Time Requirements Analysis”, International Workshop on Empirical Requirements Engineering at RE, Chicago, September 2012. [preprint] – [slides]
- Neil A. Ernst, ” On the Role of Requirements in Understanding and Managing Technical Debt”, position paper at International Workshop on Managing Technical Debt at ICSE, Zurich, June 2012. [preprint] – [slides]
Neil A. Ernst, Alexander Borgida, John Mylopoulos, Requirements evolution drives software evolution, IWPSE-EVOL ’11 Proceedings of the 12th International Workshop on Principles of Software Evolution and the 7th annual ERCIM Workshop on Software Evolution, Szeged, Hungary, September 5, 2011. [preprint] [slides]
- N. A. Qureshi, A. Perini, N. A. Ernst, J. Mylopoulos, “Towards a Continuous Requirements Engineering Framework for Self-Adaptive Systems”, paper at Workshop on RE @ Runtime at International Requirements Engineering Conference (RE), Sydney, September 2010. [preprint]
- Neil A. Ernst, Yiqiao Wang, John Mylopoulos, “Requirements evolution and what (research) to do about it“, in K. Lyytinen et al. (Eds.): Design Requirements Workshop, LNBIP 14, pp. 186–214, 2009. An extended version of (4). [pdf]
- Neil A. Ernst, John Mylopoulos, Yijun Yu, Tien Nguyen, “Supporting requirements model evolution throughout the system life-cycle”, poster presented at International Conference on Requirements Engineering, Barcelona, Sept 5, 2008. [extended abstract] [poster]
- Neil A. Ernst, John Mylopoulos, Tracing software evolution history with design goals, presented at the International Workshop on Software Evolvability, at the International Conference on Software Maintenance (ICSM), Paris, October 1, 2007. [slides]
- John Mylopoulos, Neil Ernst, Dynamically evolving requirements, position paper at the NSF Science of Design Workshop, Cleveland, June, 2007.
- Jorge Aranda, Neil A. Ernst, Jennifer Horkoff, S. M. Easterbrook, A Framework for Empirical Evaluation of Model Comprehensibility, International Workshop on Modeling in Software Engineering (MiSE-07), at the 29th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE’07), Minneapolis, USA, 19-20 May 2007.
- Neil A. Ernst, Y. Yu, J. Mylopoulos, “Visualizing non-functional requirements”, presented at Workshop on Requirements Engineering Visualization at RE 2006, Minneapolis, September 11, 2006. [pdf] [slides]
- N. A. Ernst, M.-A. D. Storey, P. Allen, and M. A. Musen, “Addressing cognitive issues in knowledge engineering with Jambalaya,” presented at Workshop on Visualization in Knowledge Engineering at KCAP 03, Sanibel Island, FL, 2003. [pdf]
- N. A. Ernst, “Adoption-Centric Knowledge Engineering,” presented at Workshop on Adoption-Centric Software Engineering at ICSE 2003, Portland, OR, 2003. [pdf]
- M. Storey, N. Noy, M. Musen, C. Best, R. Fergerson and N. Ernst. Jambalaya: an interactive environment for exploring ontologies. Poster at International conference on Intelligent user interfaces, 239–239, San Francisco, USA, 2002. URL
- M.-A. D. Storey, M. A. Musen, J. Silva, C. Best, N. Ernst, R. Fergerson, and N. F. Noy, “Jambalaya: Interactive visualization to enhance ontology authoring and knowledge acquisition in Protege,” presented at Workshop on Interactive Tools for Knowledge Capture, K-CAP-2001, Victoria, B.C. Canada, 2001. [pdf]
- Neil Ernst, “Georeferencing: Examining issues in geospatial information systems”, book review at Dr. Dobb’s Journal, April 13, 2007. (online)
Tech reports (aka unaccepted papers)
- Ivan Jureta, Alexander Borgida, Neil A. Ernst, “Mixed-Variable Requirements Roadmaps and their Role in the Requirements Engineering of Adaptive Systems”. arXiv:1102.4178.
- Ivan J. Jureta, Alex Borgida, John Mylopoulos, Neil A. Ernst, Alexei Lapouchnian, Sotirios Liaskos. “A(nother) Requirements Modeling Language”, University of Toronto, CSRG-593, April, 2009. [pdf]
- N. A. Ernst, S. Easterbrook, J. Mylopoulos, “Code forking in open-source software: a requirements perspective”, University of Toronto, Toronto, last revised June 27, 2006. arXiv:1004.2889.
- N. A. Ernst, “Evolution in requirements models”, University of Toronto Depth Oral Report, June 2007. [pdf]
- N. A. Ernst and M.-A. Storey, “A Preliminary Analysis of Visualization Requirements in Knowledge Engineering Tools,” University of Victoria, Victoria, CHISEL Technical Report August 19 2003. [pdf]
- N. A. Ernst, “Software Evolution: A Requirements Engineering Approach”. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Toronto, 2011. [pdf] (224 pages)
- N. A. Ernst, “Towards Cognitive Support in Knowledge Engineering: An Adoption-Centred Customization Framework for Visual Interfaces”, unpublished M.Sc. thesis, University of Victoria, 2004. [pdf]
Also see http://www.slideshare.net/NeilErnst
- Neil Ernst, “Requirements for Services”. [pdf] Presented at Workshop on Model-Integrated Software Service Engineering, Waterloo, July 2010. A summary of current research by my supervisor’s constellation of collaborators on socio-technical software and requirements.
- Neil Ernst, “Blogs, Wikis, and Tagging: Introduction to the latest web technologies”. [pdf]
Delivered as part of the Massey College Junior Fellow Lecture Series, March 16, 2006. Derived from an extended workshop presentation I did with Alvin Chin, Sacha Chua, and Stephen Perelgut at CASCON 2005.
- Neil Ernst, “Applications of Social Networking presentation”. [pdf]
Presented in Fall, 2006, for a seminar on social networks in computer science.